Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Battambang





















































































































The pictures here show the road to the Killing Cave, a view from the cave, a shrine containing the remains of the victims, children flying a kite from a frighteningly high cliff-side (I made my way back from the edge as quickly as I could), this and that, and also a statue of the king with his staff who is said in legend to have thrown it to the horizon, where the ground upon which it landed became the city of Battambang, meaning lost staff.

This was a relatively boring visit. I spent 3 days, and it was probably 2 days too many. I was glad to have seen the "Killing Caves" where the Khmer Rouge slaughtered, beat, and hurled their victims into the chasm of the cave. I was glad to see the shrines and temples built upon these grounds. The ancient ruins were quite uninteresting though, having just come from Siem Reap and Angkor Wat.

No comments:

Post a Comment