Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hoi An







































































































































Buses from Hue to Hoi An shut down for a day, but when they opened I got on board and followed the tail end of the typhoon, seeing giant, towering cargo ships beached perhaps only 10 meters from the road; It was an awe-inspiring sight to be sure. Along the way I befriended a Swedish couple, and sticking together along with two Danish girls I met at my Hue hostel, we booked our rooms at a cheap hotel with a pool. Six dollars for a 3 bed dorm in a hotel with a pool and free alcholic smoothies seemed reasonable enough. I spent several days here doing the typical Hoi An stuff. I visited several museums, an old trading house, the Japanese Covered Bridge, saw a traditional music performance which embodies all the same Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese fusion as the rest of this trading town. I spent one day simply walking, touring the town, eating at the same local stalls I usually do where the meals cost less than a dollar and the patrons are shocked to see you and laugh as you load your bowl of Pho Ga (noodles and chicken) with chilli sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment